Take your stuffed chicken thighs to next level
My mozzarella and sun-dried tomato stuffed chicken thighs are the perfect quick and easy midweek meal. You only need a handful of readily available ingredients to make this dish. Also, the recipe itself is straightforward – you can prepare it under 30 minutes, making it an ideal dish for busy weeknights when time is of the essence. Simply stuff the thighs, wrap them up in delicious prosciutto, whack them in the oven, and you’re good to go!
One of the best things about this dish is its versatility. While the chicken thighs themselves are delicious on their own, you can serve them with many different salads; grains such as quinoa; with couscous, or with roasted vegetables. Try serving them with Mediterranean-style roast vegetables to take this dish to the next level!
Serve with Mediterranean-style roasted vegetables
I recommend roasting vegetables such as bell peppers, courgette (zucchini), red onion, and aubergine (eggplant) with a little bit of olive oil, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, and ground coriander. You could also add fresh (or dried herbs). This not only adds an array of colours and textures to your plate but also enhances the flavours of the chicken thighs.
Mediterranean-style roast vegetables will complement the mozzarella and sun-dried tomato stuffing in the chicken thighs. The tanginess of the sun-dried tomatoes and the creaminess of the mozzarella pair perfectly with the sweet and savoury flavours of roasted vegetables, creating a well-rounded and satisfying meal.
In addition to being delicious, Mediterranean-style roast vegetables are also incredibly healthy. Vegetables such as peppers, courgette, red onion, and aubergine are packed with vitamins, minerals, and fibre, making your meal both delicious and nutritious! By pairing the mozzarella and sun-dried tomato stuffed chicken thighs with these vegetables, you’re not only creating a flavourful and satisfying meal but also nourishing your body with healthy, low carb and nutrient-rich foods.
Need more inspiration for your Mediterranean-style roast vegetables? Consider this recipe from Delicious Magazine. It uses cannellini beans, and goats cheese in addition to the vegetables I suggested above.
Ready to make mozzarella and sun-dried tomato stuffed chicken thighs?
In summary, mozzarella and sun-dried tomato stuffed chicken thighs are a fantastic option for a quick and easy midweek meal. By serving them with Mediterranean-style roast vegetables, you’re creating a well-balanced and delicious dish that’s both satisfying and nutritious. Give this recipe a try the next time you’re in need of a quick and easy dinner option, and your taste buds and body will thank you!
Mozzarella and sun dried tomato stuffed chicken thighs
- 4 slices prosciutto Parma or Iberico ham are also fine
- 4 chicken thighs skinless and boneless
- 125 g mozzarella roughly sliced or ripped into chunks
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- 4 tbsps sun dried tomatoes roughly sliced
- 2 tbsps fresh basil roughly chopped
- 1 courgettes (zucchini) thickly sliced
- 2 bell peppers roughly sliced
- 1 Aubergine (eggplant) roughly sliced
- 1 red onions quartered
- 50 g cherry tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic slightly crushed with the edge of a knife
- 1 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsps olive oil
- sea salt
- black pepper
- preheat your oven to gas mark 5 (190C / 375F). You will need two roasting trays, preheat them too.
For the roasted vegetables
- place the onion, peppers, bay leaves garlic cloves and courgette in a large mixing bowl
- pour over 2tbsp of the olive oil, the ground coriander, sugar and balsamic vinegar and season well with salt and pepper
- mix it all up until all the veg has a good coating of oil and seasoning
- pour the contents into one of the preheated roasting trays and place in the top shelf of your oven
- after 20 minutes of cooking, add the cherry tomatoes and mix the veg up again, turning everything over so it cooks evenly
- cook for a further 20-30 minutes and then serve with the chicken thighs, discarding the bay leaves (you may wish to discard the garlic cloves too, although they can be eaten if you wish)
For the chicken thighs
- in a small mixing bowl, mix together the tomato puree, sun dried tomatoes, ripped basil, lemon juice, 1 tbsp of olive oil and a little salt and black pepper
- grease a sheet of aluminium foil, shiny side up (large enough to loosely wrap the chicken thighs) with a little olive oil
- carefully place the prosciutto or Iberico ham slices on the greased foil
- place the chicken thighs, opened-out, at one end of the ham, one on each slice
- place the mozzarella slices or chunks on one side of each of the chicken thighs
- spoon the tomato, basil etc mixture, from step 1 above, onto the mozzarella
- close each chicken thigh by folding the uncovered side over the covered side. It doesn't matter if some of the filling falls out
- roll up each thigh into a little parcel in its slice of ham
- fold over the foil to loosely cover the stuffed thighs and place onto the other preheated roasting tray
- place in the center of your oven and cook for 40-45 minutes
- remove them from the oven and leave to rest for 5 minutes (or until the veg is ready)
- serve with the roasted vegetables