Perfect for colder nights
When the weather is chilly and the nights are long, you need a comforting, warm and hearty meal to help you through the season. One dish that fits the bill perfectly, is this chicken and leek casserole bake. It’s made with succulent chicken thighs, rich cream, and earthy mushrooms.
There’s nothing like settling in for a cold winter night with a rich, creamy casserole, and a nice glass of white wine.
Chicken, leeks, cream and white wine – a classic combination
The combination of chicken and leeks is a classic pairing that is both flavourful and satisfying. Chicken thighs are the perfect choice for this recipe, as they’re tender and full of flavour. Plus, the dark meat holds up well to slow cooking. The leeks add a sweet and subtle onion-like flavour to the dish, and provide a healthy dose of vitamins and minerals.
Mushrooms add an extra layer of depth and earthiness to the casserole bake. Mushrooms are a great source of umami, the ‘fifth taste’ that adds a savoury, meaty flavour to dishes. They’re also a source of fibre and antioxidants, making them a healthy addition to any meal.
The cream in this casserole bake adds richness and depth of flavour. Combined with white wine – a classic combo – it also helps to thicken the sauce and create a velvety texture. It is important to use a good quality cream to ensure the dish is as delicious as possible. As for the wine, the grape variety doesn’t matter too much, just that it’s a decent quality. I always say that if you wouldn’t want to drink it, don’t cook with it!
The whole thing is topped off with grated parmigiana, and a hint of grated nutmeg. Serve with a helping of buttered green vegetables.
The beauty of this chicken and leek casserole bake is that it is really simple to make. It yields a delicious and satisfying meal that will warm you up on even the coldest of nights. You can even prepare this casserole ahead of time and store it in the fridge or freezer until needed. This makes it a great option for busy weeknights, too.
Overall, this chicken and leek casserole bake is a perfect meal for autumn or winter nights. Its combination of flavours and textures makes for a comforting and satisfying dish. Whether you’re feeding a crowd or just looking for a cosy night in, this casserole bake is sure to become a firm favourite in your recipe repertoire.
Shared on: Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesdays
Chicken and leek casserole bake
- 8 chicken thighs with bones and skin on
- 1 onions small, finely chopped
- 1 stick celery finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 3 leeks chopped
- 3 sprigs fresh thyme leaves only
- 125 g button mushrooms halved
- 100 ml white wine
- 200 ml single cream
- 250 ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 0.25 tsp nutmeg grated
- 25 g Parmesan cheese grated
- sea salt
- black pepper
- fresh parsley to garnish
- heat your oven to 200C (400F Gas 6)
- heat the olive oil in a large saucepan or frying pan. Season the chicken thighs with salt and pepper, brown them off and set aside
- add the onion, celery, garlic and leeks to the pan and cook for a few minutes until the begin to soften
- add the mushrooms and cook until the liquid is reduced by about half
- add the fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper
- add the wine and deglaze the pan. Cook until reduced by half
- add the cream, chicken stock and grated nutmeg, bring to a low boil and then simmer for about 5 minutes
- transfer the sauce and chicken thighs to a large casserole or lasagna dish and sprinkle the grated Parmesan over the top (tip: leave the tops of the chicken pieces above the rest of the sauce, so the skin will get nice and crispy in the oven)
- bake in the centre of your oven for around 40 – 45 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the top of the bake is browned
- garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve with buttered green vegetables