If you’re looking for a quick and delicious snack or brunch, this bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette is the perfect choice. This classic dish is super easy to make and can be customized to your liking with a variety of ingredients.
Bacon is a popular ingredient in many breakfast dishes. It adds a delicious salty flavour to this omelette. When combined with sautéed mushrooms, it creates a rich and savoury taste that pairs perfectly with melted cheddar cheese.
One of the best things about this dish is how easy and quick it is to make. All you need is a few ingredients, a non-stick frying pan, and a few minutes of your time. You could even prep the ingredients the night before so that it’s ready to cook in the morning.
How to make this bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette
To make this bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette, start by cooking the bacon in a non-stick pan until it’s crispy. Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside until cool enough to handle. Then chop it into crispy pieces. Next, add sliced mushrooms to the same pan and sauté them until they’re soft and tender.
While the mushrooms are cooking, whisk together eggs in a bowl, season with pepper and add a sprinkle of dried oregano. Add spring onions to the mushrooms and cook for a further minute, then remove and set aside.
Next, reheat the pan and add the rest of the butter. When it’s foaming, pour in the beaten eggs. When they begin to set, sprinkle on the bacon pieces, and the mushrooms and spring onions.
Once the eggs are set, sprinkle grated cheese (or slices of cheese, if you like a lot like me!) over the top of the omelette and fold it in half. The cheese will melt and create a gooey, delicious filling. Serve the omelette hot with a side of toast, or with a salad for a complete meal.
In addition to being a tasty and satisfying snack or brunch option, a bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette is also a nutritious choice. Eggs are packed with protein and vitamins, while bacon and mushrooms add extra flavour and nutrients.
Overall, a bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette is a great dish to have in your easy recipe arsenal. It’s quick and easy to make, customizable to your preferences, and a nutritious option for any time of day. Give it a try and you won’t be disappointed!
Why not mix things up?
One of the great things about an omelette is how versatile it is, and there are many ways you can mix up a bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette to make it more interesting. Why not try:
- Fresh herbs: Adding chopped fresh parsley (like in the featured image for this recipe) or another herb, such as basil or thyme, to your omelette can bring a burst of fresh flavour to the dish. You can add the herbs to the egg mixture before cooking, or sprinkle them on top of the finished omelette for a pop of colour.
- Vegetables: While mushrooms are a delicious addition to an omelette, you can also mix in other vegetables to add some extra nutrition and flavour. Try sautéing some diced bell peppers, onions, or spinach and adding them to the egg mixture.
- Spices: If you like your food with a little kick, you can add some spices to your omelette. A pinch of cumin or chilli powder can add some smokiness, while paprika or cayenne pepper can add some heat.
- Different cheeses: Cheddar cheese is a classic choice for an omelette, but you can switch it up by using a different type of cheese. Feta, goat cheese, or even blue cheese can add a tangy, savoury flavour to your omelette.
- Meat substitutes: If you don’t eat bacon or just prefer a veggie version, or a more healthy option, you can use a meat substitute such as tempeh bacon or vegan sausage. These options still provide a smoky, savoury flavour, but without the meat.
These are just a few ideas to get you started, but the possibilities for customizing your bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette are endless. Have fun experimenting and creating your own unique spin on this classic dish!
Bacon, mushroom, and cheese omelette
- 4 free range eggs large
- 15 g butter unsalted
- 2 rashers bacon smoked or unsmoked
- 30 g mature cheddar cheese sliced
- 2 chestnut mushrooms sliced
- 2 spring onions chopped
- 0.5 tsp dried oregano
- black pepper
- first, cook-off the bacon by grilling it. Leave to cool for a minute or two, then chop it into small, square pieces
- heat half the butter in a frying pan over a medium heat. When foaming, add the sliced mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes
- add the spring onions and cook for a another minute, then transfer to a small bowl or plate and take the pan off the heat
- crack the eggs into a mixing bowl, add the oregano and season with black pepper. Whisk the eggs until beaten
- return the frying pan to a medium heat and add the remaining butter. Once foaming, add the eggs and leave to cook for around 1 minute, until the base of the omelette is sealed
- sprinkle the bacon, mushrooms and spring onions on to the omelette. They should sink slightly into the eggs. Cook for around 1 minute
- add the cheese to one side of the omelette as shown, reduce to a medium-low heat and then cook for a further 3 – 4 minutes, until most of the omelette has set and the cheese is beginning to melt
- carefully fold the omelette in half (non-cheesy side onto the cheesy side) and serve with a side salad or as a snack